The Flinn-Brown Academy is offered twice a year. Approximately 25 Fellows will be chosen for each session.
Profile of the Ideal Flinn-Brown Fellow Candidate:
The Flinn and Brown foundations desire to select Fellows from around Arizona with a broad range of experience and perspectives.
The strongest applicant…
- Possesses a strong desire to be a state-level civic leader in Arizona, such as a member of a state board, commission, or advisory council; a state elected official; a state government leader; or a policy advisor. Service in these capacities may be full-time or part-time, paid or unpaid.
- Is committed to civic involvement personally and to encouraging civic engagement throughout the state.
- Has a keen interest in state-level public-policy issues, analysis, and solutions.
- Shows interest in and has the capacity to consider different perspectives and make fact-driven decisions for the common good.
- Exhibits the ability to be an effective leader, as seen in the combination of current or past work experience, business, volunteer, school, or church activities, civic activities, issue advocacy, or local elected office.
- Has taken other preparatory steps to becoming a civic leader, such as participation in a local or regional leadership-training program.
Participation in the Flinn-Brown Civic Leadership Academy begins with compilation and submission of an application portfolio. Included in the portfolio are letters of endorsement from two Arizonans, an online application, and current resume, which together provide the basis for consideration. The portfolio is designed to determine the extent to which the nominee meets the ideal candidate profile. Initial review yields a group of candidates who are invited for personal interviews with the Selection Committee.
The confidential selection process is highly competitive, with more applications from well-qualified nominees than the approximately 25 Academy positions available. Those not selected for one class may apply for future sessions.
For further information about the selection process for the Flinn-Brown Civic Leadership Academy, please contact program manager Emily Rajakovich at ERajakovich@flinn.org.